Innovation J-Camp July 10-14, 2017
Innovation J-Camp will be held July 10-14, 2017 in the Center for Innovation in Media at the College of Media and Entertainment at Middle Tennessee State University.
The workshop will teach high school students to be innovative digital journalists, able to tell stories for multiple platforms including: video, web, mobile and print.
Registration cost is $150 for five-days of camp, lunches provided.
Participants will use the latest video, audio and mobile gear to produce a package of multimedia stories for posting on a website they will build during the camp. Canon USA is a sponsor of the camp and will provide the latest digital video cameras.
Each day students will learn about new digital platforms and will be given hands-on assignments to compliment classroom instruction. Students will spend the majority of their time in the field gathering stories and working with camp instructors to edit their stories into digital packages.
At the end of Innovation J-Camp each participant will post a video story, photo story and written story to a WordPress.com website they will build and learn to manage.
Multi-Platform Storytelling Daily Schedule
Day 1 – July 10
Introduction to camp
Reporting and writing a news story
– What’s news? What makes something news worthy?
– Interviewing – Asking the right questions
– Note taking and quotes
– Returning J-Campers will produce podcasts
Free Expression with Dean Ken Paulson
Hands-on reporting assignment
Day 2 – July 11
– First five graphs
– Adding transitions and details to your writing
– Finish the masterpiece – how to close the circle on a story
-Returning J-Campers will edit audio for podcasts
– How to use a Canon DSLR camera
– Composing a picture
– Defining moments, telling a story through images
– Editing photos using Adobe Bridge and Photoshop
– Edit a photo story for online publication
Day 3 and 4 – July 12-13
Video storytelling – shoot and edit video
– Video storytelling basics
– Interviewing for video and audio
– B-Roll – how to get the right shots for video
– Editing video with Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere (possibly iMovie)
– Edit a video story for online publication
Day 5 – July 14
Build a website and publish stories
– Basics of Adobe Spark
– Build an Adobe Spark website and post story, photo story and video to your site